Saturday, September 18, 2021

If my heart were an emptiness

If my heart were
a flame
flickering in the wind
Would you cup your hands
in protection
till I grew strong again?

If my heart were
a snowflake
caught in an early spring
Would you flee with me
northward
till I grew firm again?

If my heart were
a tender tree
growing too near the edge
Would you root me
in a rich soil
somewhat further back?

If my heart were yours
would you keep it from me
and only bring it out
to give me doubt
and pity
when you needed
something from me?

Without my heart
the snowflake would melt
though the flame failed
And young trees would
never take root
And the cold would
move in
And waste begin
and my heart,
the void,
Would empty somehow
of love too soon.

(And if my heart were
an emptiness
would that be enough
to make a beginning
of a new love?)

No comments:

Post a Comment