Saturday, January 15, 2022

You're always here

(For Mary)

That was your car
they took away
I wonder where

I did believe
there was something
of you
still there

I don’t know
the whole story
I wasn’t privy

And details
aren’t important
when there’s love
for somebody

I remember the day
your phone disconnected
I remember the day
your apartment empty

I went away
knowing I had lost
another haven
for life’s quiet talks

Not that we agreed
always, but
your opinion I valued
your company I treasured

The great pleasure
I felt
when you sought to instruct me
from lessons learned by you
the hard way
There was so much life
in those eyes
that were already threatened

It’s like life takes our
greatest gifts first
as if
to prepare us for no worse

But it’s always hard
to lose
a little more
each day

And now
they’ve taken
your car away

No visible sign
you were there
that’s ok
cause
you’re always here

11/18/01

No comments:

Post a Comment