Thursday, September 16, 2021

I only mouth the words

Curling
on a chair
in soft afternoon light
from a window
She reclines at ease
with a
spring catalog
full of summer clothes.

Men tend to make
fantasy
reality, she says.

Lying
on a sofa
with propped head
I read
while stark light from the lamp
spirals
across a page
of the magazine of tomorrow 6
here today.

Women tend to make
reality
fantasy, I say.

Spinning
slowly she sits
her chair
at evening table
meal prepared
quickly
at modern convenience
in timed oven
that promises
loving care.

Men tend to make
home
a castle, she mostly groans.

Straight-backed
chair
sitting at table end
I pass a dish
to the right of course
and hurry
to the chicken
with barbecue sauce.

Women tend to make
castles
into homes, I quickly impart.

Coiling
under white linen
on late-night
bed
after love
with stocking
feet
to keep her warm.

Men tend to make
every affair
a love, she… silently sighs.

Face-down
and bare
long time
from a moment ago
cool linen
only tempts me
until
I must answer
her call.

Women tend to make
love
an affair, I… only mouth the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment