Saturday, September 11, 2021

Farther up the hill

A butterfly yesterday morning
crossed the snowy April fields,
I suppose he was chasing his fancy
farther up the hill.

But then he veered from flight,
wild flowers down by the brook
had called to him quietly,
to come take a look.

He danced among the flower tops
twirling to a silent tune,
he dipped and dove behind them
I lost him from view.

I hurried to see what was the matter
and felt saddened by the sight,
the web was hastily patterned
silver shining in the light.

Caught unprepared by the late snow,
as the butterfly must have been
the spider had only half a net
but his first catch was in.

It was not up to me to decide
I had not the will,
but still I thought the butterfly
straining to fly
farther up the hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment