Saturday, January 15, 2022

Sails may fill

I am the spirit of
Fuller, Whitman and Ives
I ply the creative craft of this land
and have no home.

My fellow man, my accuser,
to him I seek to give
All my life an endless pouring
of my soul and my health.

Accused not of greatness
but of difference
they want to make a commune
of my novel self.

Or otherwise ignore
or cost me out
because I have no utility
as a fine paved road.

If it’s poetry I write
I keep my common typewriter
finely tuned.
If it’s music I create
I abandon it for
the common good.
If it’s a soaring scaffold
of ideas I create
I’m remembered (more or less)
for an afterthought.

It’s my country I’ve tried
to create
a lasting reflection
of eternity
So that here, after the right to liberty
has been earned by bending
to the common will,
A man may set a heading
in a favorable wind
and his spirit may soar
his sails may fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment